Monday, August 10, 2009

The Start

I'm not sure where this blog will go. I've never really blogged before, so I suppose at the very least this will be a learning opportunity for me. Step zero was choosing a name. Why did I choose vittata? Well, it's because I have a bamboo plant called Bambusa eutuldoides viridi vittata that I bought last year at Zilker Park. I think it's going to wind up being one of my favorite bamboo species. Earlier this year it sent up two new culms, about twice the diameter of previous ones. The culms are yellow with a very nice vertical striping.

The word vittata is Latin for bound with a ribbon. In this case, I'm sure it refers to the random green stripes that go from one node to the other on the culms. The word has no deep relevance to the blog -- well, at least not yet. It was a name that was available, and I took it.

No comments:

Post a Comment